Thursday, January 21, 2016

Tammy's Frito Pie

Tammy's Frito Pie








When I get hungry for Frito Pie I think of Texas. I have a very strong memory of being in middle school in Humble, Texas, and waiting in line for those lunch lady Goddesses to serve the Frito Pie and the Taco-in-a-bag. Those were the good ole days. Back when schools could serve that kind of thing, and I could eat anything without gaining weight. Sigh.
To me, Frito Pie equals comfort food. It's right up there with meatloaf, mac and cheese, and biscuits and gravy. 

Many years ago when I move to PA, I had to make the food that reminded me of home since no one here had ever heard of most of the meals I grew up on. This is what I came up with based on my fuzzy memories.
Leave a comment and let me know what you think. :)


Tammy's Frito Pie
1½ pounds ground meat
1 bag of Fritos (9 3/4 ounces)
1½-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Two 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
1/2-3/4 cup water
Homemade chili seasoning ( you can buy the packet seasoning to make it easier)
Assorted toppings
Chili Seasoning
Chili Seasoning

1½ tbsp white flour
1 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp dried onion
1½ tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper 
1 tsp sugar
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil


Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Brown the ground beef over medium heat. Add the seasoning and water. Add the tomato Sauce and cook over low heat for 20-30 minutes.



While the meat mixture is cooking grab a 9x13 pan. Put the whole bag of Fritos in the pan.



 When the meat is done simmering, pour the mixture over the fritos. DO NOT STIR.  Top with cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted and it's bubbly. Serve with sour cream, black olives, salsa or whatever you are hungry for.


Tammy's Frito Pie

Enjoy!


Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. Very easy to make. I used the packet of chili mix to make it even easier. My entire family enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete